About the Womens Westside
The Womens Westside Improvement Club (WWIC) was established in 1908 by a group of enterprising women from the West Side of Richmond who wanted to beautify the Point Richmond area and improve the quality of life for local citizens.
With one of the oldest continually active women’s clubs in the State of California, the West Side of Richmond continues to benefit from the club’s first three projects, which date from its early meetings in1908.
Over many decades the club has sustained its signature programs, while responding to changes in local community needs.
Projects: Past and Present
- Indian statue water fountain, which provided water for horses as well as people
- Community reading room that evolved into the West Side Branch of the Richmond Public Library
- Janice playground, Nichol Avenue at Washington Avenue, funded with dances, whist tournaments and tag sales
- Award winning Point Richmond Street Directory and Map, with native plant garden
- Support for Point Richmond History Association, Washington Elementary, The Arts of Point Richmond and 100 years of projects that have improved quality of life for the community
Indian Statue Water Fountain